Chrysler Town and Country Commercial: What Does It Mean??

8 Oct

Ok, so I’ve been seeing this commercial a ton of times and I DON’T GET IT… First off, why do the kids want to race that other kid home?  And why would he jump into his mom’s van (YEA, the trunk just so happened to be open for him to jump right in before his mom drove off). I agree with some of the comments below. IT MAKES NO SENSE!!!  And it’s starting to really annoy me every time it comes on. I mean really, does this commercial really make you want to go out and buy a Chrysler Town and Country van?

Advertisements

10 Responses to “Chrysler Town and Country Commercial: What Does It Mean??”

1. Rob Grady October 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm #

I think the message they are trying to convey is ‘Safety’ and the kid’s action of being safe in the van reinforces that message. Do I think the Van is more safe than others? No. Does it make me want a mini-van? No.

• Shelley Lai October 12, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

Yes, ‘Safety’ first!

2. RoeK October 11, 2010 at 10:50 pm #

I actually think they edited that commercial. If you watch it, they don’t show the kids the main child was “racing.” The main kid also stuck his tongue out when he JUMPED into the mini van and closed the trunk door quickly. The chasing kids looked around for him but didn’t find him till they drove past and he then stuck his tongue at them.

What I think REEEALY happened is that the main kid said something and the other kids started chasing after him to beat him up but he ran home and jumped in the van to hide. Thus why he stuck his tongue out at them while making his gettaway.

This way makes much more sense to me when I watched it simply because it flows much easier and takes out less of the confusion.

• Shelley Lai October 12, 2010 at 4:56 pm #

Thanks for your take RoeK!

3. Ursula October 12, 2010 at 7:22 pm #

I think the boys were bullies, and they were after the kid jumping in the mini van. The car company probably got heat for that scenario so they changed it to a race. I’ve been trying to see if they were any articles about the controversy, but none have surfaced.

• Tim Stenzinger October 23, 2010 at 12:06 pm #

I agree! I’m looking too. It’s more interesting to know the politics behind it then the actual commercial!

4. elena October 15, 2010 at 10:55 am #

In the original commercial the “bad” kids were chasing the kid who ends up safely in the minivan.

In the current version the advertisers now want us to believe this was a “race”.

Uh no – you cannot change a commercial by adding a little voiceover to the beginning. The rest of the video now makes no sense.

I’m guessing they had complaints about their commercial showing a child being chased by other kids. Horrors!

I think they should have pulled the commercial instead of editing it if they wanted to give in to these complaints.

Cheap – but then I guess they believe their targeted audience is too stupid to actually follow the “story” of their commercial.

• Shelley Lai October 15, 2010 at 10:58 am #

I agree Elena! They should just completely pull the commercial! If they’re going to edit it, at least do it right…

5. ryo October 22, 2010 at 8:55 pm #

yes!!!! im glad im not the only one who knows about this!

6. Linda M Jopp April 8, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

When anyone attempts to whisper in my ear I get the willies! That commercial gives me the willies! The hairs on my arms stand up! What were they thinking? The last time it came on I couldn’t get to the remote fast enough to change the freakin’ channel!